An extreme group, Personhood USA, is circulating a petition to radically change Ohio’s constitution. The amendment would define a fertilized egg as a person, giving it all legal rights and constitutional protections.
This far-reaching proposal could have these dangerous consequences:
- Outlaw commonly used forms of birth control pills and most other birth control methods in Ohio, including emergency contraception.
- Threaten women’s health and safety by limiting life-saving medical treatments like treating cancer because it could put a fertilized egg in danger.
- Force government intrusion in our lives, including examining of medical records to investigate miscarriages.
- Severely restrict reproductive technologies, including in vitro fertilization.
- Ban all abortions, even for victims of rape and incest or when a woman’s life is at risk.
- Be costly to taxpayers and would clog the court system by impacting countless laws ranging from when property rights are granted, to inheritance rights, to who can file a lawsuit (the word “person” appears more than 15,000 times in Ohio law and regulations).
This amendment will result in government intrusion that puts politics above the health and safety of Ohio families and women and could cost taxpayers millions in legal fees. It is simply bad medicine, bad policy, and bad law.
Healthy Families Ohio is an emerging coalition of medical professionals, constitutional and legal experts, faith leaders, professional organizations, and family and children advocates that are urging Ohioans to reject the extreme and costly changes to the Ohio Constitution pursued by this radical group.
You can help Healthy Families Ohio by:
- Join the growing list of Ohioans who are pledging to reject the measure at healthyfamiliesohio.com.
- Donate your time and resources to stop this threat.
- Decline to sign the dangerous petition.
Healthy Families Ohio © 2012